Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ice Follies



The Lovely One herself (photo by Nick Diana, )

Greater Lowell Kennel Club Show, 1/13/07
1st Place, 12-18-Month Bitches


Since Dinah did so well at the previous Fitchburg show, I let myself be talked into entering this show. We'd had reasonably mild weather thus far, right? What could go wrong?

Actually, Saturday's weather wasn't half bad. It was warm-ish for mid-January (40s) and had stopped raining, so the trip down was actually quite bearable (for all that we had to get up at 5 AM for a 9 AM ring time). Since there were approximately a gazillion Corgis (Pembroke) and Collies (Rough) ahead of us in our ring, we had plenty of time to get settled, help Kathy set up, and socialize before our presence was actually required.

I'm happy to report that Dinah finally beat Cocoa in the ring, but I can't say much else for the judge's judgment. He placed exclusively from the Open classes, so we didn't progress very far. Ah well, there's always the next day...

Only there wasn't a next day. It had iced over during the night, though I'd had no idea how treacherous the going was until I drove down Route 4 myself. It took me over an hour of 5 mph driving before I called Kathy to tell her that we just couldn't bend space and time to make our ring time, at the rate at which we were going. Some friends collected my stuff and brought it back for me.

That's it for shows until the end of April, at the earliest. No more winter shows!

No comments: